|Places to See|
- Freedom Park, formerly called Imee R. Marcos Park, is located in front of the City Hall.
- The 75-m. long and 20-m. high Ceriaco Pastrano Hanging Bridge connects Brgys. Layawan and Tabuc Norte.
- Sibucal Hot Springs, in Brgy. Sibucal, is located 10 kms. from the city.
- El Triunfo Beach
- Nesleigh Beach
- Romero's Beach
- Ambak-Ambak Falls
- The scenic Libadatama Dam is a popular picnic site
- Oroquieta was formerly a barrio settled by Boholano peddlers called Layawan from 1861 to 1879
- Its name was changed to Oroquieta when it became a town in 1880.
- The town's name was derived from the words oro meaning “gold” and quieta or kita meaning “find” in reference to the gold found along the river by the inhabitants of the place.
- It became the capital of the province on January 6, 1930.
- Oroquieta became a chartered city on June 21, 1969 by virtue of Republic Act No. 5518 and was inaugurated as such on January 1, 1970.
Oroquieta City has a Type 4 climate with evenly distributed rainfall throughout the year. Rainfall is heaviest from January to October. The warmest months are April and June.
Coconut processing is its main industry. Native delicacies made here include lumayagan, pirit, broas and peanut brittle.
|Location and Topography|
Oroquieta City is bounded by Lopez-Jaena on the north, Iligan Bay on the east, Concepcion on the west and Aloran on the south.
- Area (sq. kms.): 237.88
- Population (2010): 68,945
- No. of Barangays: 47
- Income Class: Fourth
- District: First
- Zip Code: 7207
- Area Code: 088
|Where to Dine|
- Chopstick Food - Independence St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 531-11251)
- DDC Cake Shoppe & Noddle House - Enerio St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 531-1912)
- Etchetera Food Center - Washington St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 3-1177)
- Jollibee - 9 Independence St. cor. J. Luna
- Karen’s Barbecue & Fast Food - Enerio cor. Ozamiz St., Layawan District (tel: 531-1162)
- North Pole - Independence St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 531-2026)
- Pearl Joy Restaurant - Barrientos St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 531-1138).
- Peking Fastfood and Bakeshop - Washington St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 3-1038)
- Rhovic’s Place - Magsaysay St., Poblacion 1 (tel: 531-1916, cel: 0918-5801906)
- Rufing’s Eatery & Lodge - Enerio St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 531-2012 & 531-1031)
- Sugbahan sa Centro - Washington St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 3-1196)
- Tatine’s Food House - Independence St., Poblacion 2 (tel: 531-1131)
|Where to Stay|
- Camp Ceniza Resort, in Brgy. Canubay, 2 kms. from the poblacion, has cottages and a floating pavilion.
- Casa Cristina Hotel has 24 rooms (22 airconditioned rooms with bath or common bath and two suites). Tel: 531-1272.
- Century Pension House, along Independence St. in Lower Langcangan, has five airconditioned, two suites and one non-airconditioned room (PhP100-500). Tel: 531-1225.
- Chopsticks Inn
- Dajao Lodge (cel: 0910-6030492)
- Danimar’s Riverside Garden (cel: 0918-8240431 & 0920-4144444)
- Emily Lodge, at Lower Langcangan, has five airconditioned rooms (PhP400-500). Tel: 531-1505.
- Girl Scout Lodge, along Osilao St. at Poblacion 1, has six rooms. Tel: 3-1221.
- Jingle Bells Beach Resort
- Joy Lodge, along J.P. Quijano St. in Poblacion 2, has nine rooms (non-airconditioned rooms and airconditioned rooms with bath). Tel: 3-1290.
- Paradise Garden, at Upper Loboc, has five airconditioned double (PhP500) and four standard (PhP250) rooms. Tel: 531-1468.
- Prelimar's Inn, at Lower Loboc, has nine rooms. Tel: 531-1084.
- Rhapsody Inn, at Layawan District, has two airconditioned and one non-airconditioned room (PhP250-550). Tel: 531-1594.
- Punta Blanca Resort
- Rhovic’s Place Hotel, a standard-class hotel along Magsaysay St., Poblacion 1, has airconditioned rooms with bath and cable TV, restaurant and swimming pool. Tel: 531-1916. Cel: (0918) 580-1906.
- Rufing's Eatery & Lodge, along Enerio St. at Poblacion 2, next to the bus station, has five rooms (PhP150-300) and a restaurant. Tel: 531-2012 & 531-1031.
- St. Gerard’s Lodging House, at Poblacion 1, has 10 standard rooms (PhP100).
- Sheena's Inn, at cor. Barrientos and Del Pilar Sts. in Layawan District, has 11 airconditioned with bath (PhP625-795), one suite (PhP895) and 12 non-airconditioned rooms (PhP150-200). Tel: 531-1158.
- Tatong’s Beach Resort, in San Vicente Bajo, Brgy. Dagatan, has native-style cottages (PhP165-1,000), airconditioned and nonairconditioned dorms (PhP75-150), and a swimming pool. Tel: 531-1322. Cel: (0919) 245-7305.
|Where to Shop|
- Aiko Shopping Home - Enerio St. Poblacion 2
- AMIL's Gift Shop
- Camsur General Merchandise (Novo Jeans and Shirts) - Rizal St. Poblacion 1
- Happy Homes General Merchandise - Enerio Cor. Quijano St. Poblacion 2
- HG Trading - Revil St. Poblacion 2
- The Look
- Lucky Fair General Merchandise - Enerio St. Poblacion 2
- Metro Gold Shopping Mart - Mabini Cor. Enerio St. Poblacion 2
- Nam Kinh General Merchandise - Quijano St. Poblacion 2
- Rough Rider Jeans/Lee Jeans
- Uptown Square General Merchandise - Barrientos St. Poblacion 2
|How to Get There|
Distances (Oroquieta City to:)
- Islamic City of Marawi (Lanao del Sur): 245 kms.
- Dipolog City (Zamboanga del Norte): 92 kms. (Rural Transit and Super Five Transit)
- Cagayan de Oro City (Misamis Oriental): (Rural Transit and Super Five Transit)
- Ozamis City: 43 kms. (1 hr., BJ Express, Libra Express, Lilian Liner, Pamtrasco Bus, Rated A Express, Union Express and aircon vans)
- Calamba: 37.8 kms. (Lilian Liner)
- Plaridel: 18.4 kms. (Lilian Liner)
- Sapang Dalaga: 51.9 kms. (Lilian Liner)
- Lilian Liner - Talairon
- Rated A Express - Canubay
- Union Express - Capitol Drive
|Tourist Information Center|
- City Tourism Office - City Hall (tel: 531-1516, fax: 531-1164)
- City Tourism Council - City Hall (tel: 531-1213)
- January 1-6 (Triad Celebration) - commemorates its charter day, its declaration as capital and Community Development Week.
- Summer (Tabanog Festival) - features kite flying
- October 7-16 (Inug-og Festival, Our Lady of the Holy Rosary) - features native Subanon dances.
- November 6-8 - the provincial anniversary
- Landbank - Montalvan Bldg., cor. Cong. Villarin and Montero Sts. (tel: 531-1292, fax: 531-1095)
- Metrobank - Mayor Enerio St.
- Philippine National Bank - Sen. Jose Ozamiz St., Lower Lamac (tel: 531-1052, fax: 531-1053)
- United Coconut Planters Bank - UCPB Bldg., Washington St. (tel: 531-1123-24, fax: 531-1444).
- Dignum Foundation Hospital (48 beds) – Upper Langcangan District (tel: 531-1689)
- Holy Family Clinic – Canubay District
- Misamis Occidental Provincial Hospital (100 beds) – Lower Langcangan District (tel: 531-1529)
- Oroquieta Community Hospital (15 beds) – J.P. Quijano St. (tel: 531-1858)
- St. Therese Hospital (20 beds) – Layawan District (tel: 531-1274)
- Tamola-Tan Medical Hospital (15 beds) – Rizal St. (tel: 531-1247)
- Botica Jane - Juan Luna St. Poblacion 2
- Farmacia Jessica - Revil St. Poblacion 2