This provincial capital, one of the main route centers (the other is San Pablo City), is the administrative, service and commercial center on the eastern part of the province. Its layout is broader than most lakeside settlements.
|Places to See|
- The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was first built by Franciscan Fr. Antonio de la Llave (the first parish priest) in 1608 and was enlarged in 1672 by Fr. Miguel Perciva with the addition of two wings (giving the church the form of a cross). It was improved in 1850 by Fr. Juan Antonio Marzo who built the principal nave and convent and remodeled the five altars. The church was destroyed during the July 18, 1880 earthquake. It was reconstructed by Fr. Antonio Martin de Vidales in 1881 (assisted by Filipino Fr. Gregorio Ercilla, his coadjutor). On January 26, 1945, the church was partly destroyed by fire during the liberation in World War II leaving only the walls and stairs of the convent. It was reconstructed in 1948 through the initiative of Fr. Mariano O. Limjuco.
- Old American-era houses, such as the Jacinto Valenzuela House and the Eleazar House, both circa 1922, are located here.
- A giant replica of the kesong puti is located in the town plaza.
- Sta. Cruz was formerly part of Lumban
- It became a separate municipality in 1602
- Sta. Cruz was made into the provincial capital in 1858, replacing Pagsanjan.
Sta. Cruz is the birthplace of:
- Eduardo A. Quisumbing (November 24, 1895 to August 23, 1986) - botanist and National Scientist.
Its climate is characterized by two pronounced seasons: dry from January to April and wet during the rest of the year. The municipality has annual temperature of 27.2 degree Celsius and annual rainfall of 1962.7mm. Northeasterly winds with an average wind speed of 9 knots per hour prevail in the municipality.
The town was made famous by its delicious kesong puti (salty white cottage cheese). This native delicacy, made from carabao's milk, is cooked in large vats to which salt and vinegar is added till it curdles. The cheese is then fermented, strained and molded and then individually wrapped in banana leaves. Orchid growing is a flourishing industry here. Offshore are fish corrals.
|Location and Topography|
Sta. Cruz is situated on the banks of the Sta. Cruz River which course its way along the eastern part of Laguna de Bay. The town is bounded by the Bay on the north, by Lumban and Pagsanjan in the east, Pagsanjan and Magdalena in the south, and Pila and Liliw in the west.
- Area (sq. kms.): 38.6
- Population (2010): 110,943
- No. of Barangays: 26 (all urban)
- Income Class: First
- District: Fourth
- Zip Code: 4009
- Area Code: 049
|Where to Dine|
- 1214 Snack Bar & Coffee Shop - Brgy. Poblacion IV
- 4 A's Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Patimbao
- 4 Y's Restaurant - Provincial Capitol, Brgy. Poblacion I
- Aaron Chinese Delicacies - Phase II, Fruit Section
- Aiozone Resto Bar - Cailles St., Javier Bldg., Brgy. Poblacion III
- AJ Videoke Bar - Brgy. Pagsawitan
- Arinsky Videoke & Bar - Brgy. Cailos
- Big Mak - 2 P. Guevarra St., Brgy. Poblacion III
- Brosas Tandem Bar & Brosas - Cailles St., Brgy. Poblacion III
- Cali-B Resto Bar - Brgy. Poblacion I
- Chowking - P. Guevarra St., Brgy. Poblacion III. Tel: 808.4883
- Chowking - Poblacion - A. Mabini St., Brgy. Poblacion
- Chowking - Sunstar Mall, Brgy. Gatid
- Christian Fast Food - Monserrat Subd., Brgy. Sto. Angel Sur
- Claire Videoke Bar - Brgy. Gatid
- Columbia Garden – Tel: 808.1234
- D' Lomi House - Brgy. Bagumbayan
- Festival Garden Restaurant - Highway, Brgy. Bubukal
- Frank's Burger - Brgy. Bubukal
- GB Gim Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Sto. Angel Sur
- Greenwich - Brgy. Poblacion IV
- Greenwich - Mabini Carillo Bldg. A. Mabini St. cor. San Vicente St.
- Harbour Bridge Bar & Restaurant - National Road, Brgy. Bubukal
- Hard Resto & Videoke Bar - Brgy. Bubukal
- Hotshot's Bar & Resto – Brgy. Pagsawitan
- Jenny's Disco Bar - Brgy. Patimbao
- Jikaid'z Food Hauz - Cailles St., Brgy. Poblacion III
- Jinky's Videoke Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Patimbao
- Jollibee - P. Guevarra St., Brgy. Poblacion III (tel: 808-3516 and 808-1799)
- Jollibee - Sunstar Mall, Brgy. Gatid (tel: 510-0005)
- Jomel Restaurant - P. Guevarra St., Brgy. Poblacion III
- Jose Kulban Cuenca Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Bubukal
- Katreina Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Bubukal
- Kaklase Bar & Resto - Brgy. Poblacion IV
- Kamayan sa Kabukiran Restaurant - Brgy. Bubukal
- Kenzo Bar & Restaurant - Highway, Brgy. Bubukal
- Kirei Bar & Restaurant - A. Regidor St., Brgy. Poblacion II
- Kyle Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Duhat
- Laf Box Comic Bar - Highway, Brgy. Patimbao
- Laguna NU Snack Fast Food - M. H.del Pilar, Brgy. Poblacion III
- Lamhung Chinese Food - Brgy. Poblacion III (tel: 810-3044)
- Long Life Fast Food - A. Regidor St., Brgy. Poblacion V
- Maki's Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Gatid
- Masa Rap Resto Bar – PGA, Brgy. Poblacion I
- MacDonalds - P. Guevarra St., Brgy. Poblacion III. Tel: 808.6236
- Meille Fast Food - A. Regidor St., Brgy. IV
- Minute Burger - A. Regidor St., Brgy. V
- Minute Burger - Brgy. Poblacion I
- New Tokyo Videoke Bar - Brgy. Pagsawitan
- Night Job Disco Bar & Restaurant – Brgy. Pagsawitan
- Off Track Betting Station & Restaurant - Falcon St., Brgy. Poblacion V
- Oki Doki Dok Snack Bar - Brgy. Poblacion IV
- ORO Food House - A. Regidor St., Brgy. V
- ORO Restaurant - Brgy. Poblacion V
- Pagsawitan Laker's KTV Bar – Brgy. Pagsawitan
- Pinggan sa Koobo Restaurant - Brgy. Bubukal
- Resto Bar - Cailles St., Brgy. Poblacion III
- Riviera Restaurant - A. Regidor St., Brgy. V
- Rockapella Videoke Bar - Brgy. Bubukal
- Square T. Fastfood - Brgy. Poblacion I (tel: 534-3889)
- T. K. Sounds Bar Resto - Cailles St., Brgy. Poblacion III
- Takhoban Bar & Restaurant - Brgy. Poblacion III
- Tapsi Atbp. ni Lola - Brgy. Sto. Angel Sur
- Tapsilog Express - Sunstar Mall, Brgy. Gatid
- Teens Bento Fast Food - Brgy. Poblacion III
- Waffles and Cones - N. Tobias St., Brgy. Poblacion V (tel: 808-2993)
- Zone Videoke Bar – Brgy. Pagsawitan
|Where to Stay|
- Asian Traveller's Hotel & Restaurant – Brgy. Pagsawitan (Tel: 501-6018 and 810-0722)
- Chrismell Hotel & Restaurant - Brgy. Pagsawitan (tel: 501-2339)
- Citrus Lodge - Rotonda, Dita (tel: 534-2251)
- Danila's Resort - Brgy. Bagumbayan
- De Lima's Private Pool - Brgy. Calios
- Ester Grand Villas Laguna Farm - (tel: 810-2072, cel: 09292451410)
- Gacias Resort - Brgy. San Pablo Norte (tel: 808-0361 and 810-0058)
- Nequinto Swimming Pool - Brgy. Sto. Angel Central
- Oriental Village - Brgy. Pagsawitan(cel: 09213650041))
- Pleasant View Hotel & Restaurant — National Highway, Brgy. Patimbao (tel: 501-6543)
- Rubarden Resort - 299 Sitio Manggahan, Brgy. Gatid (tel: 810-1517)
- Tres Palmas International Club Resort - Brgy. Bubukal
- Villa Dolores Resort - 067 Central I, Brgy. Gatid (tel: 810-2331 and 500.4023)
|Where to Shop|
A number of houses and roadside stalls sell antiques including excavated Chinese pottery called hukay. Stalls also sell lanzones and other fruits in season.
- Joy Supermarket
- Centro Department Store - near the Public Market
- Goodwill Supermarket
- Metrostar Department Store - 2/F, Sunstar Mall
- Public Market - Brgy. V
- Sunstar Mall - Brgy. Gatid
- Super Value Department Store — A. Regidor St.
|How to Get There|
Distances (Sta. Cruz to):
- Manila: 105 kms. (3 hrs. via Pililla), 87 kms. (via Calamba City)
- Calamba City: 45 kms.
- Pagsanjan: 6 kms. (jeepneys)
Batangas Laguna Tayabas Bus Co., JAM/Laguna Transit and Kapalaran buses ply the Manila-Sta. Cruz route via Pagsanjan.
|Tourist Information Center|
- Mayor's Office - Municipal Hall (tel: 808-1008)
- March 8-17 (La Laguna Festival)
- April 4-11 (Kesong Puti Festival) - townspeople parade in cheese-decorated attire during this nine-day festival.
- Allied Bank - 34 A.M. Regidor St., Poblacion (tel: 808-1901 and 808-3526)
- Banco de Oro - A.M. Regidor St.
- Bank of the Philippine Islands - 1651 P. Burgos St.
- Chinabank - A.M. Regidor St., Poblacion
- Landbank A.M. Regidor cor. P. Burgos Sts. (tel: 808-3644)
- Landbank - P. Guevarra St.
- Metrobank - P. Burgos St. (tel: 552-2981)
- Philippine National Bank - P. Guevarra St.
- Philippine Savings Bank - A.M. Regidor St., Poblacion
- Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation - A.M. Regidor cor. P. Burgos St.
- United Coconut Planter's Bank - UCPB Bldg., P. Guevarra St.
- Holy Family Clinic - 1824 J. de Leon St. (tel: 645-1911)
- Jesus the Savior Hospital (17 beds) – 3565 Sto. Angel Central (tel: 808-3582 & 810-0748)
- Laguna Doctors' Hospital (25 beds) - P. Guevarra St. (tel: 808-2768)
- Laguna Provincial Hospital (150 beds) - J. de Leon St. (tel: 808-1984)
- Sta. Cruz Laguna Polymedic – 780 National Highway, Brgy. Patimbao
- God's Healing Pharmacy - Sta. Cruz Public Market (tel: 808-9060)
- Mercury Drug - P. Burgos St.
- Pharma Wealth Enterprises - National Highway, Brgy. Bubukal