- During World War II, the Andres Bonifacio Elementary School, along Bonifacio St., served as a Japanese garrison while the Apolinario Mabini Elementary School, along Mabini St., served as headquarters of the Japanese Army. The Ramon Residence, along Burgos St., was the wartime residence of Gen. Tagaishi Kono, commander of the Japanese Army in Negros.
- The Provincial Jail, along Gatuslao St., was formerly Fort San Juan. It was originally built in 1890 by Recollect Fr. Mauricio Ferrero and was used as a prison during the Spanish era. In 1898, during the revolution, Spanish friars were imprisoned here. It became a fortress during World War II.
- The old Provincial Capitol, a Roman Neo-Classical building located in front of the park and lagoon along Gatuslao St., was built in 1927-33 and now houses the Negros Museum.
- The City Plaza, located not far from the seawall, is a popular meeting place and scene of cultural presentations. At the plaza’s east entrance is the sculpture Ang Pahimud-os (The Struggle), done by noted sculptor Eduardo Castrillo while at the north end is the Rectangular Lagoon, the massive sculpture “Woman Reclining on a Female Carabao” done by a French artist and the Memorial to the Unknown Soldier. At the south end is the sculpture “Man Pulling a Male Carabao” done by U.P. Fine Arts graduate and Negrense artist Felix Garzon, and the Theodore C. Vinther Monument, built in memory of the American soldier who died in defense of Bago Bridge. The Bandstand, built in 1927, has the names of world famous composers like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Wagner encircling the sides of the roof. The Memorial to the Fallen Journalist was built by the Negros Press Club.
- The Western Visayas Regional Hospital, along Lacson St., is also called the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Hospital. It was built in 1927 as a 30-bed hospital.
- The Instituto Rizal, along Araneta St>, was constructed by the Americans in 1903, the first school established by the Americans in the city. It was transferred to the Bacolod West Elementary School in 1952 and renamed the Rizal Elementary School in 1959. On its grounds is the “Rizal Mini-Park”, constructed to commemorate the centennial of Rizal’s death.
- The 20-hectare Negros Occidental Sports and Recreational Park, in Brgy. Mansilingan, is located east of the city and is surrounded by eucalyptus trees. Also called the Panaad Park and Stadium, it hosted the April 1998 Centennial Palaro. The main stadium seats 15,000 people. The complex has a rubberized Regupol (imported from Germany) track oval, tennis courts and an lympic-size swimming pool with a touch pad, electronic timer and camera track.
- The San Sebastian Cathedral, along Rizal St., flanking the plaza, was originally a small chapel founded by Bishop Mariano Cuartero on April 27, 1876. The present structure, using Guimaras Island coral, was built upon the initiative of Recollect Fr. Mauricio Ferrero and completed on January 20, 1882 by Fr. Fernando Cuenca. It became a cathedral June 23, 1933. The cathedral was repaired and improved in 1936 by Bishop Casimiro M. Lladoc. Its bells were brought down from the belfry and mounted on the right side of the churchyard in 1976, the 100th year anniversary of the cathedral.
- Beside the cathedral is the Palacio Episcopal, the bishop’s palace and seat of the diocese of the province. Started in 1830 by Father Julian Gonzaga, it was completed only in the 1890s and was a refuge of Spanish military and civil officials during the revolution. Tel: 2-3909.
- The Diocesan Shrine of St. Thaddeus, in Brgy. Alijis, has a floating Risen Christ as the altar’s centerpiece and an intricately painted ceiling of heaven done ala Sistine Chapel by a local artist. The crown-shaped San Antonio Abad Church, in Lizares Subdivision, features Stations of the Cross done by Bacolod’s top artists and an altar sculpture called “The Risen Christ” done by national artist, Solomon Saprid.
- The Sta. Clara Chapel, within Sta. Clara Subd., on the northern suburbs near Banago Wharf, was built in 1983 with native materials. It features a unique nine by 12 foot mosaic-mural of the Blessed Virgin of the Village (Barangay sang Birhen) using 95,000 pieces of locally available polished shells done by 60 men using 100 man hours and supervised by Mrs. Leticia Ledesma. The Stations of the Cross, altarpieces and images of the saints were a collage etched out using 30,000 species of local shells.
- The Lizares Mansion, built by sugar money, is the tallest residential edifice in the city and has traceried windows. The Valencia-Locsin Mansion is characterized by interconnecting bridges that allow clan members to visit each other without stepping out into the street. It houses fine Chinese-carved furniture pieces.
- Yulo Ancestral Home
- The Negros Museum displays a 40-ft. long batil (long boat), a life-size replica of an Iron Dinosaur (steam locomotive) donated by the Victorias Milling Co., a real sugar laboratory using traditional equipment donated by the La Carlota Sugar Central, nine huge paintings by Bacolod artists depicting life in the pre- Hispanic period and those by Charlie Co, which explores the economic and social ascent of Chinese in Negros. Its JGM Gallery of International Folk Art and Toys features toys and folk arts from around the world. The museum also has a conference room, audio-visual room, a gallery for changing exhibits, souvenir gift shop and a concert lobby. Open Tuesdays-Saturdays, 10am-6pm. Guided tours at 10-11am and 3:30-5:30pm. Tel: 434-5552. Fax: 433-4764.
- The Araneta Monument, at the Public Plaza, houses the remains of Gen. Araneta and his equestrian statue.
- The Cinco de Noviembre Marker, located opposite the Araneta Monument, indicates the spot where Araneta and his men first raised the Philippine flag.
- The steel Bago Bridge, spanning the Bago River, was built sometime in the late 1920s. Here, American PFC Theodore C. Vinther died foiling Japanese attempts to destroy this bridge on March 29, 1945. A World War II Veterans marker was installed at the approach to the bridge during the 50th anniversary of Negros' liberation.
- The city’s Ma-ao Sugar Central has a 280-km. rail network plus some old steam locomotives including two ALCO 2-6-0s, one 1921 TS 1-3 and one 1924 BM 5.
- The Mexican-inspired St. John the Baptist Church, located next to the southern portion of the plaza, was built in 1891 by Recollect Father Juan Pineda.
- Cora Beach
- Jara Beach (Brgy. Calumangan)
- Asaw-Asaw Falls
- Bagacay Falls
- Twin Falls of Kipot (Brgy. Mailum)
- Bago Rice Terraces (Brgy. Mailum)
- Crocodile Farm
- Hardin Sang Balo
- Prayer Mountain
- The Gen. Juan A. Araneta Residence and Landmark Museum, also called the Balay ni Tan Juan, is the late 19th century ancestral home of the late general. It houses his memorabilia. The house was proclaimed a national historical landmark by the National Historical Commission.