GENERAL INFORMATION (GUIMARAS)
- Arthur MacArthur Wharf, in Brgy. Sto. Rosario, was built in 1903 by then Lt. Douglas MacArthur, while on duty with the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers.
- Camp Jossman, in Brgy. Tinadtaran, was also built in 1903 and is located 6 kms. from the wharf. Lt. MacArthur, fresh from West Point, survived ambush near here (bullets just missed his head) when he was stationed at the camp. The remains of the Punta Blanco target range still exists.
- Navalas Church, in Brgy. Navalas, was established in 1885 by the Parish of St. Isidore. It is the oldest church in the province.
- The Siete Pecados Islands (“Isles of the Seven Sins”), in Brgy. Getulio, are seven picturesque rock islets situated offshore from the town. A lighthouse is situated on the largest islet.
- Roca Encantada (“Enchanted Rock”) was built in 1910 on a promontory on one of the Siete Pecados Islands. It is the summer vacation home of the Lopez family, one of the oldest grand clans of Iloilo and Guimaras. 328-0779.
- Guiwanon Island is ideal for hiking, spearfishing, snorkeling and scuba diving.
- Malingin Island is located 10 kms. south of Guimaras. Panobolon Island is excellent for spearfishing, snorkeling and scuba diving.
- The 24-hectare Taklong Island, in Brgy. La Paz, off the province's southern tip, has fine beaches, offshore coral and is noted as a dive spot. It is also a bird sanctuary. The Taklong Island National Marine Reserve (TINMAR, University of the Philippines Visayas Marine Biological Research Center), the first national marine reserve in the Visayas, is located here.
- Tandug Island, located north of Taklong Island, is ideal for snorkeling.
- Tiniguiban Island has a white sand beach with a dive site at Fiona Reef. The adjoining lake has a rare species of red shrimp that comes out from its breeding place during high tide.
- Yato Island is excellent for spearfishing, snorkeling and scuba diving.
- The Igang Point Fisheries Research Station embraces four islands interconnected by floating bridges.
- Boro-Boro Cave (Brgy. Dagsa-an)
- Daliran Cave, in Brgy. Old Poblacion, is a 5-min. hike from the wharf. It has a cold water spring and stalactites.
- The 45-hectare Good Shepherd’s Fold Academy is an uphill trek from the National Road.
- Pungkok Beach (Brgy. Bacjao).
- The Bala-an Bukid Shrine, in Brgy. Hoskyn, near the town and main port, means “Holy Mountain.” A 30-minute climb up a stairway from Punta Bundulan, at the foot of the hill, leads to a huge lighted white cross and chapel or Shrine of Ave Maria Purisima at the top. It attracts many pilgrims during Holy Week. There is a good view of Iloilo City and the Iloilo Strait.
- Jordan’s Town Plaza is the smallest in the Philippines.
- The Trappist Abbey, in Brgy. San Miguel, was founded in 1972 and is the first and only one of its kind in the country and in the Orient. The Trappist (or Cisterians of the Most Strict Observance) monks called Guimaras the “Island of a Happy Man.” They grow Philippine lemon (kalamansi), takes care of the Aeta community through the Contemplative Outreach Program, pioneers fruit processing in the province (mango, cashew, kalamansi and guava become excellent jam, chutney, prunes, wines, marmalade and jelly) and adhere to a vow of silence. Tel: 581-3393 & 581-3385.
- Isla Naburot, in Brgy. Sinapsapan, is a tiny 2.5-hectare coral islet owned by antique collectors Pons and Alice Saldaña. Located southwest of Brgy. San Miguel, it has a beautiful white sand beach, cave, colorful tropical coral and rich marine life ideal for snorkeling. The island is a 45-min. boat ride from Iloilo City.
- Ambakan Falls (Brgy. Poblacion)
- Balcon Falls (Brgy. Balcon Melliza)
- Gacita Beach
- Higante Cave (Brgy. Espinosa)
- Macopo Falls (Brgy. Sta. Teresa)
- Natagong Beach (Brgy. Lawi)
- Sadsad Falls (Brgy. Sta. Teresa)
- The Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC), in Brgy. Magamay, is a multinational aquaculture research center which undertakes artificial breeding of prawns and milkfish. Tel: 511-9171.
- The 500-m. long Catiliran Cave has yielded Ming pottery, a pre-Hispanic shell bracelet and huge quantities of bat droppings for use as fertilizer. It is also the site of the Good Friday Pangalap ritual. Hundreds of believers crawl through the cave, chanting Latin prayers in order to gain supernatural powers and protection from evil spirits.
- Alubijod Bay, located 1.5 km. off the main road, is a 10-min. jeepney ride or a 45-min. walk south of the town. It can also be reached by a 30-min. boat ride from Iloilo City and has a fine white sand beach, coral and overhanging rocks.
- Alubihod Beach (Brgy. Poblacion)
- Ave Maria Beach
- Cueva ni Tudyong
- Faro de Luzaran Lighthouse
- Guisi Beach (Brgy. Dolores)
- Guiwad Beach
- Hinalaran Cove
- Kalibukawan Cove
- Malingin Islet
- Obog Aeta Community
- Rumagangrang Beach (Brgy. Cabalagnan)
- Tando Beach (Brgy. Tando)
- Toyo Reef
- Unisan Islet
- Sunrise Beach (Brgy. San Enrique)