GENERAL INFORMATION (PAMPANGA)
- The Renaissance-style Holy Rosary Cathedral, along Sto. Entierro corner Sto. Rosario St., was first built of light materials (nipa) and of wood in 1855 by Fr. Guillermo Masnou. The present stone and brick edifice was started in 1860 by Fr. Ramon Sarrionandia through the forced labor system (Pols y Servicios), continued by Fr. Juan Merino in 1880 and completed by Fr. Pedro Ibeas in 1891. It was restored by Father Rufino Santos from 1893 to 1897. The backyard of the church was an execution ground for Filipino rebels from 1896 to 1898. Later, it was used by the U.S. Army as a military hospital from August 1899 to December 1900.
- The Angeles Rehabilitation Center, in Brgy. Sto. Rosario, is a center for polio and stroke patients. It was formerly the City Post Office from February 6, 1967 to 1986. Before that, it was built in 1899 as the deposito for religious statues and carriages and was then utilized by the U.S. Army as a jail from 1899 to 1901 for recalcitrant U.S. troops and as headquarters of U.S. Army 11th Film Exchange from 1946 to 1947.
- The Holy Family Building was used by the U.S. Army from 1899 to 1902 as a military hospital and by the Japanese Army as a troop barracks, officers’ quarters and arsenal in early 1942.
- The two-storey Pamintuan Residence, at Miranda corner Sto. Entierro St., across the cathedral, served as the temporary seat of President Emilio Aguinaldo’s government on May 7, 1899 (the first and only anniversary of the First Philippine Republic was held here) as well as the headquarters of Maj.-Gen. Arthur MacArthur in May 1989. It now houses the Central Bank of the Philippines Clearing House.
- A restored grain storehouse (kamalig), along Sto. Rosario St., between the city’s two oldest houses, was built in 1840 by Don Ciriaco de Miranda, the first gobernadorcillo of Angeles.
- The Nepomuceno Ancestral House, along Sto. Rosario St., was the home of Don Ciriaco de Miranda. Built in 1840, it was inherited in 1868 by Don Ciriaco’s niece, Doña Agustina Henson de Nepomuceno.
- Bale Matua, in Brgy. Sto. Rosario, is the oldest building in the city. Also known as the Founder’s House, it was built in 1824 by Don Angel Pantaleon de Miranda and his wife Doña Rosalia de Jesus using materials salvaged from their older house built around 1811. It has high stone walls and an ornate gate and was declared as a Historical Site by the National Historical Institute.
- Bale Herencia, at the corner of Lakandula and Sto. Rosario Sts., was built in 1860 by carpenters from Vigan (Ilocos Sur).
- The Kamikaze Museum is located at the residence of noted Pampango artist, Dan H. Dizon, president of the Kamikaze Memorial Society of the Philippines (KAMESO). It contains documents, literature, war paintings, replicas of Kamikaze planes and U.S. warships, a genuine Kamikaze 250-kg. bomb and different helmets of World War II.
- The two-storey Museo Ning Angeles, located adjacent to the cathedral, was the former City Hall and is now a museum featuring Kapampangan lifestyle and culture.
- The Juan D. Nepomuceno Center for Kapampangan Studies houses a research center, museum gallery, and theatre that provide access to materials on Kapampangan culture and history.
- Church of St. Peter the Apostle, located at the town plaza, was first built from 1629 to 1630 by Augustinian Fr. Juan Cabello and rebuilt as a three-nave stone and brick church by Fr. Simon de Alarcia (1854 to 1860). It was destroyed during the 1863 earthquake. The present church was built by Fr. Antonio Redondo from 1876 to 1883 and officially inaugurated on June 28 to 30, 1883. Its bell towers were completed by Fr. Toribio Fanjul in 1896. Msgr. Rustico G. Cuevas renovated the church in 1989. It is the permanent residence of the famous Apung Iro (“grandfather”), the life-size ivory image of St. Peter brought from Spain to the country in one of its religious voyages. The image was first housed in a big stone house belonging to Don Pedro Umayan Espiritu, who provided it with three golden tiaras, scepter, ring, necklace, two silver keys, papal robes, molave chair and carriage.
- The town's Church of St. Bartholomew, built in honor of St. Catherine of Alexandria in 1863, is one of the oldest in the province and is known for its classical architecture. The present church was restored by Fr. Jose Torres in 1858, continued by Fr. Juan Terrero in 1877 and finished by Fr. Urbano Bedoya in 1892. The presbytery, ceiling and main altar have recently been renovated and the original stone covered with cement and painted white.
- The 3,715-hectare Mt. Arayat National Park, in Brgy. San Juan de Baño is located 2 kms. away from the town and a 15-min. drive from Angeles City. This lonely mountain is visible for miles around plains of Central Luzon. Atop Arkong Bato, a basalt rock formation resembling Noah’s Ark, is a 107-inch long right footprint or bakas, 36 inches wide under the toes with a dog’s “paw print” dented near the heel. The mountain’s significant number of flora and fauna includes 40 species of trees and plants, 86 species of birds, 14 species of mammals and 11 species of reptiles. The mountain is the legendary home of Mariang Sinukuan, a beautiful fairy who protects its flora and fauna. The mountain is accessible from Mexico and Sta. Ana but the Magalang route is nearer. From Magalang, it is an enjoyable 2-day hike. Register at the municipal hall or at the park’s administration office. Pay a nominal fee. Hire guide and porters at the town or at the park. Bring enough food and water. Follow the carabao logging trail, passing dense rainforest, several springs and mini waterfalls. About 15% of the trail involves short 60-70 degree ascents. A wide camping area awaits you at the summit.To get there from Arayat, take an Arayat Bus Co. bus at EDSA for Arayat or a bus to San Fernando City and, from there, take a jeepney to Arayat. Register at the municipal hall before making the climb. The trail is wide. The other peak at the other side of the mountain is reached via the East Central College Trail.
- Camel Backbridge, along Olea Creek, Brgy. Sta. Ines, is said to be the landing place of Simon Anda y Salazar when he retreated from the British invaders in 1762.
- The Don Honorio Ventura College of Arts and Trades, formerly the Escuela de Artes y Officios de Bacolor, is the oldest vocational school in the Far East. It was founded on November 4, 1861 by Rev. Fr. Juan P. Zita and Don Felino Gil and is now covered by lahar from Mt. Pinatubo.
- The Juan Crisostomo Soto Monument honors the famed Pampango poet, dramatist and newspaperman who was born here.
- The Malig Residence, in Brgy. Cabambangan, is believed to be the oldest house of its type in the town. It was built by the Spaniards as a home of the friars who established the church.
- San Guillermo Church, located in Brgy. Cabambangan, is one of the oldest and largest churches in Pampanga, was probably built by Fr. Jose Coronel (parish priest from 1617 to 1629) on the lot of Don Guillermo Manabat. It was damaged by the 1645 earthquake, a fire in 1672 and suffered heavily during the British occupation. It was restored in 1852 by Fr. Manuel Diaz, damaged in the 1880 earthquake, repaired by Fr. Eugenio Alvarez in 1886 and Fr. Antonio Bravo in 1897. It was partially buried in 6 ft. of lahar from Mt. Pinatubo's 1992 eruption and the church's new floor is almost at the level of the windows.